Quiz Bowl Overview
The Quiz Bowl event challenges students to think fast pace and strategically in a time constrained situation. Teams of four students represent their college in this exciting test of marketing concepts and current events.
Quiz Bowl Procedure
Competing teams will gather on stage and be provided with a laptop computer on which to answer questions. Questions will be presented on the laptop computers and a large projection screen while the Moderator reads the question aloud. Once the reading is complete, students are presented with either multiple-choice options or a text box in which their team lead will select or enter the team’s answer.
Multiple-choice questions will have a 20-second timer and text-entry questions will have a 25-second countdown timer. All questions begin with a maximum value of 100 points, but the value reduces as the time to answer runs out. Teams that answer correctly in the fastest time receive the corresponding points. Should a team answer a question incorrectly, they will have 20 points deducted from their score. Not answering a question carries no penalty.
For 2023, Quiz Bowl will be utilizing the CrowdPurr Gaming Platform (crowdpurr.com). The game is operated by technical staff under the direction of a team of judges. Depending on the number of teams participating, the top one or two teams from each qualifying round will advance to the Final Game. Teams that do not advance will participate in wildcard rounds for a 2nd chance at being in the final. The Final round will consist of 6 teams competing for 1st to 5th place standings.
Quiz Bowl 2023 will be run electronically using the CrowdPurr gaming platform. Teams can sign up for a free account to practice with at https://crowdpurr.com. It is strongly recommended that you practice game play using the platform so that your team is prepared for the night of the event.
We would like to welcome Pearson as the returning content sponsor for the 2023 Quiz Bowl Event. Quiz Bowl participants and coaches will be provided access to, and we will be drawing core Marketing theory questions from, the following chapters of their new eText Revel for Marketing, 1st edition by Michael Shekter:
- Chapter 7 – Segmentation, Targeting, Positioning
- Chapter 8 – Product and Branding
- Chapter 11 – Distribution
- Chapter 13 – Advertising, Sales Promotion, Public Relations, and Personal Selling
- Chapter 14 – Digital Marketing
- Chapter 15 – Integrated Marketing Communication and Media
Shekter – Revel for Marketing, 1st edition
Current Event Content
Current event questions for Quiz Bowl 2023 will be sourced from selected editions of INCITE, a digital marketing magazine published by Canada Post. A free subscription to this magazine is available via the link above.
Students should review the content provided in the three most recent issues of INCITE, which are available via the links below.
Game Play Details
Initial and Wildcard Rounds
- 12 questions in the initial and Wildcard rounds
- 20 seconds to answer for Multiple-choice questions, 25 seconds for Text questions.
- Maximum of 100 points available per question, gradually decreasing to 0 points as time runs out.
- (-20) points if a team answers incorrectly, no penalty if they do not answer the question.
- A mix of 8-10 theory to 3 current events (INCITE) questions.
- Current events questions in initial and wildcard rounds will be multiple choice only.
- Each qualifying and Wildcard game will have the same mix of difficulty and topic.
- The final round will have 12 questions which will be a mix of multiple choice and text answer and a 60/40 mix of theory to current events.
- The suitability of text input answers will be the responsibility of the judges who may ask for verbal clarification as part of their decision making.
- There may be some questions that refer to images, charts or graphics from the source textbook and/or current event material.
For more information about Quiz Bowl or game play, please reach out to Alan McGee